Athens is a city in the northeast of the state of Georgia.
|no tourist information on Wikidata:|
1010 Ben Epps Drive, Athens, GA 30605. Tel: , Fax: +1 706-613-3417. Charter and private flights are available, but a commercial service is no longer available. Athens-Ben Epps Airport,
The nearest airport is Atlanta (IATA code: ATL).
- Groome transportation. Tel: , e-mail: . Several times a day from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport to UGA Georgia Center and Athens West Shopping Center and back. Price: US$ 39,- single trip or US$ 78,- return trip.
- 775 E Broad St, Athens, GA 30601. Connections to Atlanta, Baltimore, Charlotte, Durham, New York, Philadelphia, Richmond and Washington DC. Megabus,
On the street
- Athens transit. Tel: . Athens Transit operates local public transport. There are several routes spread throughout the city. The stops are usually run hourly between 06:00 and 23:00. There are no buses at night.
- UGA University of Georgia Campus Transit. Tel: . UGA bus lines offer a very frequent service between the campus and the city center.
- Golden Taxi, 50 Gaines School Rd, Athens, GA 30605. Tel: .
- United Taxi Cab, 1121 Mlk Jr Pkwy, Athens, GA 30601. Tel: .
- Your Cab, 714 Oglethorpe Ave, Athens, GA 30606. Tel: .
- Doubel Barreled Cannon, Corner College and Hancock St. (outside the City Hall). Is there a better way to defeat the Yankees, give them! This cannon was designed to shoot double gun balls connected by a chain. The developers did not consider the impossibility of synchronization and the cannon was never used.
- The Tree That Owns Itself, Corner Dearing and Finley St. Colonel WH Jackson planted a tree at this point and left the land to the tree. Note: the original tree fell in 1942; This tree is a descendant.
- University of Georgia Campus Nord, south of Broad St. in downtown. Walk through the site of America's oldest state university. Of particular interest are Arch, Demosthenian and Phi Kappa Halls, the Chapel, Old College and the Library.
- Georgia Museum of Natural History, 101 Cedar St. Tel.: , e-mail: . Opened: Mon - Fri 10.00 - 16.00. Price: Admission free.
- Georgia Museum of Art, 90 Carlton St. Tel.: . The museum is located at the University of Georgia, South Campus. The Museum of Art offers a small, permanent collection of American paintings, as well as on Wednesday evening shows and other hiking exhibitions. Opened: Di, Mi, Fri, Sat 10.00 - 17.00, Thu 10.00 - 21.00, Sun 13.00 - 17.00.
- Ciné, 234 W. Hancock Avenue. Tel: . Ciné is an independent and non-profit cinema with two screens.
- Athica, 160 Tracy St. Tel.: . Designed as an "alternative art space" for the Athens Institute for Contemporary Art, it is dedicated to the contemporary art exhibition.
- tour. Book either the tour through the city center or the Music History Tour. Both start at the Welcome Center, 280 East Dougherty Street, +1 706 353-1820.
- Terrapin Brewery Tour. Mi to Sa from 5:30pm to 7:30pm, live music and guided tours are free. For US$ 10,- you can buy a terrapine beer glass and 8 tickets for beer samples.
- Botanical Garden, 2450 S. Milledge Ave. Tel: . The site offers many paths for a stroll through the garden, an impressive three-story tropical garden and theme gardens that show local and international flora.
- Athens Welcome Center, 280 E. Dougherty St. Tel.: . In the historic Church-Waddel-Brumby House, the oldest preserved house in Athens. The museum at the Welcome Center has an authentic decoration and equipment. Opened: Mon - Sat 10.00 - 17.00, So 12.00 - 17.00.
- Visitor Center at the University of Georgia, 400 River Rd, Athens.
There are many hiking trails in the Athens area, as well as parks and other outdoor recreation centers.
- The above botanical garden contains 4 miles of hiking trails along the Oconee River.
- Athens Greenway. The Athens Greenway, which passes through the parks of the city and along the river.
- Sandy Creek Nature Center. Has an information center, more than 4 miles of hiking trails, including some routes for disabled people.
- Sandy Creek Park. In the park is Lake Chapman, which can be hiked completely.
- Birchmore Trail. This approximately 2.5 mile stretch on Gran Ellen is between S Milledge and Lumpkin St and is close to Memorial Park.
- J & J - Flohmarkt, 11661 Commerce Rd. Tel: , e-mail: . Georgia's largest flea market. Opened: Sa + So 8:00 - 17:00.
- Junkman's Daughter's Brother, 458 E. Clayton St., Athens, GA. 30601st Tel: . A shop for costumes and gifts. Opened: 11.00 - 19.00
- Jittery Joe's Coffee Roasters, 780 East Broad St, Athens, GA 30601. Tel: . Try one of the exotic mixtures of Athens local coffee roasters.
- Agora, 260 W. Clayton St. Tel.: . antiques.
- Toula's, 225 W. Clayton St. Tel.: . home accessories.
- Georgia Square Mall, 3700 Atlanta Highway. Tel: .
- Tyche's Games (Athena Anime), 1056 S. Lumpkin St, Athens, GA 30605. Tel: . Special games store with board games, card games and role games, also anime and manga related articles. Opened: Mon - Sat 11.00 - 18.00.
The epicenter of Athens' culinary and bar scene is "Downtown". This area is defined by Broad Street to the south and Dougherty Street to the north (to Prince Avenue). Most of the restaurants are located in this area. There is also a small collection of restaurants and bars around Five Points, where Milledge Avenue and Lumpkin Street meet. Normtown is a quarter close to Athens Regional Medical Center (corner of Oglethorpe and Prince) with half a dozen restaurants and shops. There is a strong Hispanic presence. After all, the usual American chain restaurants are scattered all over Athens, with concentrations around the Beechwood Shopping Center (at the crossroads of Baxter Street and Alps Street), close to Georgia Square Mall (at the intersection of Athens Perimeter and Atlanta Highway), and finally at the College Station Shopping Center (near the corner of Barnnett Shoals Road and College Station Road).
- Five & Ten, 1635 S. Lumpkin St. Tel.: . Dinner: So - 17:30 - 22:00, Sunday - Sat 17:30 - 23:00, Brunch: So 10:30 to 2:30.
- Mama's Boy, 197 Oak St. Tel.: . Opened: Mon - So 7:00 - 15:30.
- The Last Resort, 184 W. Clayton. A varied selection of traditional southern classics reinterpreted. There is soup, quiche, fish and pasta. The wide range of cakes and pies are also of local fame.
- DePalma's. An institution for Italian cuisine.
- Weaver D's, 1016 E. Broad. Meat and three vegetables, known by REM.
- The Taco booth, 247 E. Broad. Fast Mexican cuisine. There is also another branch at 670 N. Milledge and 2270 Barnett Shoals.
- The Grit, 199 Prince Ave. Tel: . many kitchens: Indian, Italian, Mexican, and Middle East, along with soups, salads, sandwiches and many homemade desserts. Opened: Mon - Fri 11.00 - 22.00, Sat - Sun 10.00 - 15.00 (brunch), 17.00 - 22.00 (dinner).
- White Tiger, 217 Hiawassee Ave. Tel: .
- Cali-N-Tito's, 1427 Lumpkin St. A mixture of Cuban and South American cuisine.
- The 40 Watt Club, 285 W. Washington St. Tel.: . A lot of famous musicians from the last 30 years have already played here.
- Georgia Theater, 215 N. Lumpkin St. Tel.: . The Georgia Theater is a leading music venue with a bar on the roof.
- The Manhattan, 337 Nord Hull St. Tel.: . Their drinks are generally cheap and the decoration quite trendy. The decorations look like random purchases in a second hand store.
- The Max - Canada, 243 W. Washington St. Tel.: . Bar with billiards, darts, video games and flip-perers.
- Nowhere Bar. A popular place for pool players.
- The Globe. The pub has Belgian beers, English eels and an extensive wine list. Chosen as one of the best bars in America from Esquire Magazine in 2010.
- Trappeze Pub, 269 Washington St. Tel.: . Trappeze has 30+ beers from the barrel and well over 200 in bottles.
- America 's Best Inn, 2715 Atlanta Highway. Tel: , Fax: +1 706 369 8095.
- Best Western, 170 N Milledge Avenue. Tel: , Fax: +1 706 546-7959.
- Bulldog Inn, 1225 Commerce Rd. Tel: .
- Country Inn & Suites, 236 Old Epps Bridge Rd., Athens. Tel: . 4 story atrium, heated indoor pool, jacuzzi and fitness center. All rooms are suites with 32" flat-screen TV, microwave, fridge, iron/ironing board, hairdryer, coffee machine and convertible sofa bed.
- Courtyard Athens Downtown, 166 West Finley St. Tel.: , Fax: +1 706 548-4224.
- Foundry Park Inn and Spa, 295 E. Dougherty St. Tel.: .
- The Georgia Center, 1197 South Lumpkin St. Tel.: . The Georgia Center for Training is a conference center and hotel on the campus of the University of Georgia.
- Hampton Inn, 2220 W. Broad St. Tel.: .
- Hilton Garden Inn, 390 E. Washington St. Tel.: .
- Holiday Inn, 197 E. Broad St. Tel.: .
- Holiday Inn Express, 513 West Broad St. Tel.: .
- Microtel Inn, 1050 Ultimate Drive. Tel: , Fax: +1 706 613 5153.